Years 7 and 9 students will be completing the National Assessment Program - Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) Online tests in Weeks 8 and 9 of Term, 2023.
What is the purpose of NAPLAN?
NAPLAN online is a nationwide measure through which parents, teachers, schools, education authorities, governments and the broader community can determine whether or not young Australians are developing the literacy and numeracy skills that provide the critical foundation for other learning and for their productive and rewarding participation in the community.
The tests provide an important contribution to monitoring and evaluating the performance of schools and school systems in these fundamental capabilities. They also provide schools, states and territories with information about how education approaches are working, the areas to be prioritised for improvement, and those schools requiring support in the teaching and learning of literacy and numeracy.
The results can assist teachers by providing additional information to support their professional judgement about students’ levels of literacy and numeracy attainment and progress.
Students in Years 7 & 9 will complete the following four NAPLAN tests:
● Conventions of Language (spelling, grammar and punctuation)
There will be no practice tests for students in Years 7 and 9. The public demonstration tests show the types of questions students will answer and the functionalities that are available in NAPLAN tests. You can access this site at https://nap.edu.au/naplan/public-demonstration-site
Students will require the use of an appropriate device to access the online assessment platform.
Students will require headphones/earphones that are compatible with their device, for:
● The writing test, to hear the writing prompt
● The conventions of language test to hear the spelling items delivered via audio
● The numeracy test, to listen to audio
A BYOD laptop can be used for NAPLAN where the following practices are in place:
● The device is compatible with the NAPLAN locked down browser application and this application has been successfully installed an validated on the device prior to the practice test
● The device has been configured for internet access through the school’s network and Firewall and can access the NAPLAN online assessment platform carefully
● The device passes the check-list test indicated on this website: https://administration.assessform.edu.au/trt/device/index which will confirm that the device is able to reach the Assessform endpoints
● The devices has been successfully used by the student to complete the practice NAPLAN tests
● The device is fully charged prior to undertaking NAPLAN.
● Touchscreen only devices are not compatible with the NAPLAN locked down browser application. Students will need a device with a keyboard and trackpad/mouse.
Locked Down Browser
All students taking part in NAPLAN Online tests must install a locked down browser app suitable for their device. This also applies when schools have a ‘bring your own device’ (BYOD) policy. Locked down browser applications are available for devices that meet the minimum device requirements. Android devices are not supported.. You can visit https://www.assessform.edu.au/naplan-online/locked-down-browser The Locked down browser must be downloaded before Tuesday 14th March, 2023.
What is the Locked Down Browser?
● A locked down browser is a secure test player in which students take NAPLAN online tests. It is designed to prevent access to all other applications, tools such as spellcheck, web pages or software while the student is taking the test.
● Locked down browsers can accommodate disability adjustments and make use of assistive technology for students if required.
● The locked down browser application does not contain test content. Test content is only available to the student within the locked down browser while they are in a test session invigilated by a Test Administrator.
You can find additional information about NAPLAN Online on the websites listed below
● NAPLAN: https://www.nap.edu.au/naplan
● Assessform: https://www.assessform.edu.au/
● Public Demonstration: https://nap.edu.au/naplan/public-demonstration-site
● Information for Parents and Carers: https://nap.edu.au/naplan/for-parents-carers
● NAPLAN Resources: https://nap.edu.au/resources
● How to Download the Locked Down Browser: https://www.assessform.edu.au/naplan-online/locked-down-browser
● NAPLAN Online Technical Requirements: https://www.nap.edu.au/_resources/NAPLAN_online_technical_requirements.pdf